Saturday, May 28, 2011

On not being a midwife....

Ok, so in my heart, I know I'm still a midwife, and I still get random questions, and I taught a pregnancy/birth class for one of the missionary kids here... but, for now... I've put away my gloves, and I'm just being "normal." Whatever that means... but, to me, part of it means not having my phone with me all the time... easier said than done. I've gotten SO used to keeping my phone with me 24/7.... under my pillow when I sleep, on top of my towel when I'm in the shower, that kind of thing. So now, I don't have it tucked into my pocket every moment of the day, but it is ALWAYS within hearing distance... One of the girls here texted me after a quick reply and said, if you need a text back, go to the lady of the house!! my reply was something about not being able to turn the midwife in me off. :-) So, here I sit, innocently blogging, playing on facebook, e-mailing... and my phone, my almost constant companion, sits right in front of me on the coffee table.

Really, I've felt it kind of a reprieve. I do like being a midwife. But, I'm not going to lie, it's hard being on call constantly. Though, having small children living in your house is like being on call constantly, too... but different. I miss the feeling of new life in my hands. I miss watching women become mothers. I miss watching men become fathers. But this season is also good. And I am enjoying taking care of this sweet--and silly-- little girl. :-)

This week we--I say "we" loosely... Jacinta had injections. Because when she came to us we had no information on her--none, no birthday, no health record, nothing-- the hospital had to restart her series of immunizations. So, she had to have the BCG again, and some others. It's been a tough week! But she woke up this morning in a really good mood!! yay! And she's been sleeping (on her own!!) for more than 20 minutes already, so I think we are in for a good day!

No comments: