Tuesday, July 29, 2008

...In my infinite wisdom...

Well, my mom and sisters went on a cruise.... and they came back tanner.... and I was suddenly worried that after almost a year living on a tropical island in the middle of the sea I would be whiter than them.... Which is a definite possibility considering I don't really go out very much, most of my activities involve studying (inside) and work (definitely inside)... So.... I am still white. I decided that in my efforts to become tan, I would go to the pool every day, for at least... well, a while. Also, I got a new bathing suit just last weekend... My old one was a million years old, and you could actually see through some parts of it, which, is not good. It works out ok, cause ALWAYS wear board shorts over it, and sometimes a shirt... So while I had an ok base tan (thanks to that boat trip... ok ok, it was a burn, but after it peeled off, I was definitely darker...) anyway, so my old speedo had crazy a lot of coverage... And this new bathing suit... not as
much...

There should be a picture of my old bathing suit here...
but it refused to load...

New Bathing suit!!

Day 1: 11:30 am..... I go to the pool, I put a minute amount of sunscreen on my shoulders and face.... I get in the pool, I swim around until I am cold then I sit in the sun to get warm, and read... 1 pm, leave...

Result.... burned shoulders and arms... but not too bad, it mostly faded by the next morning

Day 2: 11:30am.... I go to the pool, I have worked night shift, AND initial prenatals, sleeping a mere 4 hours all spread out... I jump in the pool, swim around, get out sit in the sun to dry off, have my book, but get tired, sit on the steps of the pool, fall asleep (oh dear....), wake up 1 hour later feeling really hot... Leave at 1 pm....
Result.... Burned beyond recognizable condition.... sigh....

So, the result of this whole experience is, I am not going to the pool anymore before I leave, and I have a really nice tan where my old bathing suit tan was, and in the places that this new bathing suit does not cover... oh heavens, I am red, not just red, but also swollen... and it's been 2-3 days since this brilliant experience... So, instead of having a beautiful tan when I get home, i will probably be in some stage of peeling, because it usually takes me forever to get there, and then a LONG time to finish the peeling thing... sigh... Holly made the comment that I look like I am wearing a white tankini and a red speedo at the same time... sigh...

1 comment:

Vixie Friedman said...

Sarah,
Think of it this way, you are remaining white so that when you are older you will have less risk of skin cancer and wrinkles. I like your new suit.
Love you,
Miss Vix