Sunday, April 22, 2012

Chuck Colson

It’s somewhat fascinating to see the news coverage following the death of Prison Fellowship founder Chuck Colson yesterday.

Colson was criticized during his lifetime from various quarters, and while some of that criticism was very deserved, he did have one of the most well-know Born Again conversions of modern times, and spent the majority of his adult working life, speaking, writing and broadcasting what he understood the Christian faith to be, and how it is to be lived out in the real world.

I find it curious however, how some of the obituaries blur the line between Colson’s activities while working in the White House and his involvement with Watergate, and the fact that he then became a born-again evangelical Christian. The obituaries instead portray Colson as an Evangelical Christian Watergate Felon rather than a person who was convicted (both of his crimes and his sins), was presented with a message of redemption and salvation, accepted that message, repented of his ways, and went on to found a ministry in prisons that ministered to hundreds of thousands, if not more, prisoners from 1976 to the present.

I find parallels between the life of Saul/Paul (who by his own admission was an evil man) and Chuck Colson. Both were (emphasis on were) zealots, and attacked their fellow man, Paul even murdering Christians in order to protect the faith he grew up in. Both became pillars of the faith in their respective generations.

Paul reminds us of his own sins and shortcomings, to emphasize the fact that all of us, no matter what we have done can be redeemed and changed by the love of Christ.

I Timothy 1:12-17

“I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered me trustworthy, appointing me to his service. Even though I was once a blasphemer and a persecutor and a violent man, I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and unbelief. The grace of our Lord was poured out on me abundantly, along with the faith and love that are in Christ Jesus.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners—of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.”

No comments: