Thursday, April 05, 2012

I am Thankful for the ‘’small’’ things

Most any person raised initially and primarily in a western or ‘first-world’ nation, who then lives in a ‘’third-world’’ area for an appreciable amount of time, will end up changed.

For me, when I spend time in the United States, I often find that I have a deep appreciation for some of the ‘’smallest’’ and most basic things.

Every night, I truly appreciate having a roof over my head that does not leak, and a bed to sleep in and warm blankets.

I appreciate clean water that comes in pipes, directly into the house, including hot water in a shower. I appreciate a toilet that I don’t have to flush with a bucket of water, hauled up four flights of stairs. (40% of the people on earth have never used a toilet.)

I* appreciate having a freezer, and something cold. I appreciate having a stove, that doesn’t run out of gas, and that I don’t have to cook over a fire, unless it is my choice.

I appreciate a gas station, that has gas available, and the electricity to pump it.

I appreciate, that though there have been times when I was hungry, or cold, or tired, or felt that I lacked resources for certain needs of wants, that I still grew up in an environment, that provided me with more than the majority of the world.


Proverbs 30: 7-9

“Two things I ask of you, LORD;

do not refuse me before I die:
Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.
Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, ‘Who is the LORD?’
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God. ''

No comments: