Sunday, September 09, 2007

The Philippines.... wow.


Well! Here I am!!! In the Philippines, we got here Friday afternoon. I can not believe it, really. It is kind of surreal at the moment. I'm sitting here on the balcony of my new home and smelling the smells, and seeing the people, and seeing my new life... but it still seems weird. I'm in that getting used to everything phase, I guess. Things are going well, we have started orientation and we get our first assignment tuesday. Shifts start Thursday, and I have a clinical shift thursday morning, and then friday a day shift in the birthroom. I'll let you know how it goes!! :-)


Thank you guys for praying for our trip over, it went well, we had some... issues, but nothing major, and we are all here and all of our bags arrived with us, and we saw God's power again and again. For example, in Manila we had to re-weigh our baggage, and because we were making a domestic flight, even though it was from an international flight, we only got about 45 lbs, and we all had two 60-70lb bags... so they wanted us to re-weigh... The man graciously told us we could average the totals, pay a discounted rate... and they were adding the total weight of all the bags, the man accidentally hit the reset button on the counter, and the total weight disappeared, and most of our heavy bags had already made their way down the conveyor belt!! So we only ended up paying $100 US for 20 overweight bags!! Praise the Lord!!!


Things here really are going pretty well, pray for our interpersonal dynamics, 20+ girls in one house leads to some... umm... stress and hurt feelings. But pray that we will have grace for eachother, and that the new girls won't be stepping on the older girls toes too much. Also, the air is really not too clean here, and my allergies are going crazy. Please pray that they settle down too, cause in the Philippines, I've heard, it's really rude to blow your nose in public... this presents quite a problem for myself... but, I've been doing my best to only blow my nose around my North American buddies! :-)


That's it for now! I'm sure there will be more posts up here soon, as well as more pictures!! I couldn't find my camera for a while after I got here... I just found it right now... in a bag... oops! Have a wonderful day!!


~Sarah

3 comments:

Vixie Friedman said...

Hey Sarah,
You made it! Woo hoo! It sounds like God is taking care of you and I know He will continue to do so. THanks for letting me know how to pray. WOn't it be nice to not have allergies in our glorified Bodies?
Love you,
Miss Vix

JennJo said...

I knew you'd be the first to blog. Sorry your allergies are acting up! I had big probs with that when I was there--ask the filipinas. Prayerfully, you will adjust!
Ya, lots of different personalities in the "OC" now, huh?! "...As iron sharpens iron."
Bless you girl!

Unknown said...

Sarah -
I struggle with allergies there too. Eye drops are easy to find, but pills are really expensive. Is there a specific brand you would like me to buy for you here while I am home?

Just let me know.

Jenny