Friday, September 14, 2007

shifts

Well... I had my first clinic shift and my first birth room shift... they were amazing, and eye opening, and emotional, and wonderful.

Thursday was my prenatal day, and it started at 7:45 with a staff devotional. While we were there, we could see the ladies already sitting in the waiting room so they could get in early. Cause the earlier you get in, the earlier you get in... or seen, it just made me laugh to say that... I'm kinda tired. So then, we have praise and worship with the ladies, and a short devotional and teaching. Then they start filing in. They all have their blood pressures checked, and are weighed and stuff like that, and some of them have their iron levels checked as well. I was with another new student, Michelle (we are on the same team, so we always work together), and we were assigned to BP's and iron checking. I was on the blood pressures and I did about 40, she had done some while I was watching something else. And a then I did about 12 hematocrits. Then all 70 women were finished and we went into the exam room. We got to feel some babies and find some heart tones. It was wonderful to see the joy of the moms' faces when they got to listen to the fetoscope and hear their baby's heart beat, maybe for the first time ever.

Today (friday), I had my first shift in the birth room, and it was... well... interesting. I didn't see any births. But I saw different stages of labor. When we got there they were about to transport a lady because of high blood pressure. We had another lady in there from that poor village I talked about going to last time, and her water had broken early. Her labor wasn't moving, and we ended up transporting her, as well, because it had been too long. And then our last labor was active, and we discovered that she had never had her hepatitis screening. So we ran her to the lab, real quick (which was a short ambulance ride away), and she was back. The lab phoned the results over, and she tested positive for hepatitis B... so we transported her too, because we aren't allowed to deliver moms who have tested positive for hep. Transporting was really hard because of the conditions of the hospital. It was really bad. When I was in the hospital in Africa it was really bad in the general ward, but I had to go to the pediatrics ward so it wasn't THAT bad, this time I was in the general ward, and it was awful. There were people laying everywhere in various stages of sickness and dying. It was really terrible. And I understand why the women don't want to be transported, it's not only about the money, it's about the whole situation there. And how the women are treated, and how the whole atmosphere is there... it's a hard situation.

And that brings us to now. I just had a great dinner. The girls at this place are amazing cooks... and it's time to start on the homework again. So, here we go! Have a great weekend!!
~Sarah

7 comments:

Vixie Friedman said...

I didn't realize that ya'll did worship and devotionals with the ladies too - that's really wonderful!
It's too bad you didn't get to see a birth, only labor. Labor isn't much fun for anybody but births are truly miraculous. I actually miss that part of working. But I know you will see plenty of births soon.
As much as we Americans complain about our health care system, we should really be grateful, huh?
Love you, Sarah,
Miss Vix

Anonymous said...

thanks for your perspective on things there. your descriptions add to the reality for those of us not able to see it first hand. i'm so proud of you doing all those bp's...did it take as long as the first one on me?!?

i love you -
mom

Anonymous said...

Yay Sarah! I'm glad to hear you're doing well.

We miss you here, but are so incredibly proud of you!!

Mrs. Chaplain said...

Hi Sarah,

Roger & I are praying for you and think of you often. This re-enacting season won't be the same without you, but we both know that you are doing what God has called you to do.

Miss you much,

Laura

JennJo said...

Glad you are getting a feel for the clinic and DMC ( :b ). Keep trucking along! ;-)

Holly Findley said...

Yay for learning lots of cool, new things! Hope you get to see a birth when you go on shift tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

B. Auntie A.
Finally catching up with your stuff here, saw the thing about the duck egg, and your were not even on Fear Factor or Survivor to do it, since that is something they do on those shows.

Love Auntie